Monday, October 31, 2022

October 2022 Reading






There is a small chance that I will finish another book today, but if that happens, I’ll just add it to my November total instead.  I intended to focus on nonfiction reading during October, but life went a little sideways, so I retreated to fiction.  Even so, I managed to read three nonfiction books, four fiction books, and one kid book.

I did not read every word of The Practice of System and Network Administration by Tom Limoncelli, Christina Hogan, and Strata Chalup.  (Disclaimer:  I know two of the authors, who are wonderful humans, and the spouse of the third, so I expect she is also a wonderful human.)  This is part of my education and preparation for writing a book with Brent about incident management.  It is well out of my skillset to opine on the technical merits of the book, but I will say that the authors present their material clearly and with great good humor.  There is even a section on how to avoid spots on glasses, which was a welcome break from the other sorts of problems discussed.  I find much of technology to be, frankly, scary, but this book was reassuring and friendly, full of good examples from the authors’ real life experiences.

 

I also know the authors of Incident Management for Operations, Rob Schnepp, Ron Vidal, and Chris Hawley.  Again, I read the book as part of my homework.  The authors lay out how an emergency services approach to incidents like fires and natural disasters can work for IT incidents as well.

 

The third nonfiction book I read was for fun.  I am interested in artist’s models, so I was excited when I went to the Crocker Museum to find an exhibit about Twinka Thiebaud.  The book of the exhibition is called Twinka Thiebaud and the Art of the Pose, edited by Jayme Yahr.  The book is fascinating, full of essays and analysis of various works featuring Thiebaud, from her father’s works to more recent photographs.  The thrust of the book and exhibition is that the model can be as much of a creative force in a work of art as the artist.

 

On to fiction.

 

I finished out the Ramsay mysteries of Ann Cleeves by reading The Baby-Snatcher.  I liked it, as I liked the whole series.  Cleeves writes interesting characters and good plots.  Highly recommend.

 

The amazing Gail Carriger (yes, I have the privilege of knowing her in person, too!) writes books I very much enjoy.  I’m slowly working my way through them.  This month, I read Curtsies and Conspiracies.  What is not to like about a bunch of powerful young women doing powerful things?  Also:  a mechanical dachshund.  Funny, playful, and satisfying.

 

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke is a book I want to read over again.  It’s beautiful and confusing and satisfying and thought-provoking.  An engaging, if unreliable, narrator shows us a whole different world.  Read it!!!

 

I laughed out loud repeatedly reading T. Kingfisher’s book A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking.  That was exactly what I needed.  There is deep stuff in there, too, about the cost of heroism and the value of difference.  Also, attack gingerbread men and a sentient sourdough starter.

 

T. Kingfisher’s other writing name is Ursula Vernon.  Castle Hangnail is a heartwarming book about a castle in need of a new wicked witch and the way a community comes together to save themselves and others.  As always in Vernon’s work, there are hilarious bits and creative solutions to difficult problems.  Two thumbs up.

 

October total:  8

Fall total to date:  16

YTD total:  84

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home