Thursday, March 28, 2019

New York, Day 5: MOMA


Sometimes I do a good job planning stuff.  I only put one thing on today’s schedule, the MOMA.  After last night’s theater excursion and the cumulative nature of all the walking we have been doing, a mellow day was definitely in order.  Here are four pieces of art I liked.

This one is a Rothko.  I did not understand why someone would want to paint big blocks of color until I saw his work and how the colors have depth and almost a sense of breath in them.  (I like the one in the SFMOMA better, but this one is lovely, too.)



This one is called Mask of Fear and it’s by Paul Klee.


I don’t remember the name of the artist who made this one, but I was amused/appalled at the way misogyny manifests in politics whenever there are strong women.  It’s a replica in ceramic of an anti-Roosevelt campaign button.



What I liked about the exhibit of Lee Friedlander’s photos was that they were hung together.  The ones in this particular set were all letters or numbers or words from signs or graffiti.  The resulting rich chaos of meaning was wonderful.  Even better, the individual photos can stand alone.  This one in particular made me happy because I love the absurd signs of life.



When we were done at the museum, we headed back to the hotel, where I hung out in the hot tub for a bit.  Next up:  napping and eventually dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home