Wednesday, December 01, 2021

November Reading Report








I only read two books in November.  In my defense, one of them was not an easy read.  Also, I am partly through a third (long) book that I will get to report on for December.  Enough excuses.

 

First I read Black Against Empire by Joshua Bloom and Waldo E. Martin, Jr.  It is an examination of the history and politics of the Black Panther Party from its inception to its eventual demise.  I was fascinated and I learned a ton, but it was tough reading despite the lucid prose.  It is important to me to read history that makes me uncomfortable, that raises big questions, that challenges me to think about what kind of world I want to live in.  It is well past time to dismantle the embedded racism in our society and to find new ways to advance the social and political and economic wellbeing of the black and brown people in our society.  This book is worth the effort it takes to read.

 

After that, I had a treat.  The latest Rick Riordan book, Daughter of the Deep, came out recently and I devoured it.  I think I have mentioned that I would like to be him when I grow up?  He makes me laugh.  He gives fresh life to old stories.  And he knows how to lift up the voices of those who have trouble getting heard.  Oh, yeah, and he writes a darn good adventure story, too.  I would give this book as a gift (some other copy—I’m not parting with mine!) and give him the highest recommendation I have.  Go read it.

 

Fall total to date:  12 books

2021 to date:  63 books. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home