Monday, May 02, 2022

April 2022 Reading





I’m a little late posting my April reading because I was away and I was also hoping to finish one more book (that didn’t happen).  Only four books this month, one kid and three fiction.

 

Kid first:  I love it when a great picture book has a sequel.  The Tale of the Valiant Ninja Frog by Alastair Chisholm (with truly awesome illustrations by Jez Tuya) is laugh-out-loud funny in the vein of The Prince and the Witch and the Thief and the Bears.  It showcases a lovely family dynamic and collaborative storytelling style.  Bonus points for a girl who insists on being heard.

 

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett is wonderful.  I’m a fan.  I love how he blends the hilarious and the insightful
.  I annoyed my family by laughing out loud and then reading parts out loud to them.  We all could use a little more belief to keep us going.

 

A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn is a book I asked for and got for my birthday.  It’s the first in a series of books about Veronica Speedwell, lepidopterist and sleuth.  The books are set in the Victorian era, but Veronica is not the type to faint and wait to be rescued.  It is the best kind of book candy.

 

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was not book candy, but it was very very good.  The book explores what it means to be Nigerian and American, but mostly it is a story about growing up and love.  The writing is beautiful and funny and wise.

 

Spring total:  41

Year to date total:  41

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home