Wednesday, March 13, 2024

NZ and AUS day 14: Art!

One of today’s goal’s was to stay cool.  After breakfast with Brent, who feels much better today, I headed for the Museum of Sydney.  Unfortunately, there is a major exhibition opening at the end of the month, so most of it was closed right now.  There is a really interesting artwork out front that is about the first contact between the indigenous people and the invaders.  I liked looking up through it at the surrounding buildings:


 

In the museum, I saw models of the First Fleet, the ships in which European explorers first came here.  There were some interesting films playing.  One was about the challenging relationships between the colonists and the people who were already here.  Spoiler alert:  things don’t tend to go well when you start with kidnapping.  A couple of the others were vintage films from the 1950s and 1960s about the development of Sydney; they definitely had the flavor of their time.

 

Then I was absolutely forced to walk through the Botanic Gardens again on my way to the Art Museum of NSW .  Here is a flower:




 

The museum has two buildings.  I explored one of them, which was full of fascinating stuff.  Outside, I saw these sculptures:





 

I liked this sculpture of an indigenous person:

 



Puck on a toadstool appealed to me, too:




 

If I ever get tired of taking photos of flowers, I supposed I could take up drawing them.  But other people do it so beautifully already:




 

I found Alice (in Down Under Land!):




 

Ned Kelly is an outlaw folk hero criminal guy and I like art with him in it:




 

I adore aboriginal art:




 

And, finally, I just thought this was amazing:

 



I had a late-ish lunch and headed back to the air conditioned hotel!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home