Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Book Report Tuesday: The Slow Regard of Silent Things


Patrick Rothfuss makes me happy.  My copy of The Slow Regard of Silent Things came yesterday, so I dropped everything to read.  (It’s okay; I wasn’t holding anything heavy at the time.)

While I am waiting as patiently as possible for the next book in his series, I will console myself with this novella about Auri, a character in the larger work.  Consolation is a good word for this book because it is about, among other things, the rituals that make sense out of senseless life, difficulty, heartache.  I will read it again, savoring.


The language, as I would have expected, rises to all occasions.  The man has a gift for lyrical, playful prose.  In some ways, it might work better to think of the story as a poem, full of image, idea, and rhythm, but not so much plot.  It is a beautiful journey to nowhere in particular and yet almost everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home